Areas of special interest
NLnet funds a large diversity of projects that all somehow improve the internet, at many different levels - from software plumbing quality assuarance to core technical protocols. In areas of specific interest we also do put in additional effort and focus in order to increase the impact of projects even further.
Current theme funds
- Internet Hardening
- Whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013 revealed a whole new dark dimension of the internet, where pervasive monitoring at a scale that was unimaginable is just the starting point of many other threats. In response, the IETF (the standards body behind the internet) firmly stated that it considers the internet to be "under technical attack". In other circumstances, one might want to drop the whole technology, but this is not easy because the internet has become a critical infrastructure for society. It is therefore vital to adequately adress that attack, and revisit the security and privacy properties of the internets underpinning standards. The Internet Hardening Fund is aimed at funding such efforts to help the internet forward- by improving its security, reliability and trustworthiness. By rewriting or replacing standards where necessary, and by make sure that those standards are actually deployed. more >
- Real-time communication
- There are many separate high-quality techologies and services available for people to communicate across the internet live, but the development is significantly hindered by the fragmentation of the market. NLnet wants to see the internet model applied to unlock the potential of the internet for this crucial human need. more >
- Open Document Format
- NLnet foundation decided to put its weight behind the Open Document Format, because it is an important enabler for innovation in the area of productivity and security. Open Standards are the only way to retain our documents for the future. more >
- Domain name technology is at the core of the way people use the internet. DNSSEC is a core technology for safer internet usage, and the key to new exciting technologies for years to come. more >
- Research and Higher Education Technology Fund
- Financial cuts and the 'publish or perish' paradigm are increasingly impacting the capability of the research and education community to contribute to the future of the internet - while the internet needs their talent and ideas more than ever. The Research and Higher Education Technology Fund was created to help fund small initiatives that can make a noticable difference to the users and providers of Research and Education networks. more >
We have more excellent projects requesting money that we can afford. If you or your organisation have means to support these activities, let us know. NLnet welcomes your targeted donations of any size to let us help more projects. We have many interesting projects outside of these themes, but we understand that not every project fits with every donor. By supporting a dedicated fund, NLnet guarantees that your money will only go to projects in your specific area of interest. NLnet is a charity established since 1997, with its head office in Amsterdam. NLnet foundation is recognised by the Netherlands tax authorities, and your donations are likely tax deductible. Please contact us for more information.