Jitsi[Jitsi SIP Communicator -- concluded on 2011/07]
During the last fifteen months SIP Communicator became a real open source alternative for Skype. It support Audio/Video calls with SIP (and very soon XMPP), and Instant messaging for almost all popular protocols such as XMPP/Jabber/GoogleTalk, MSN, AIM, ICQ, IRC, Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, and more to come (like Facebook). Jingle conference calls and Jingle encrypted calls features are also implemented and being tested.
This project is about adding new features to SIP Communicator (soon to be called jitsi) that would take it beyond what's currently possible with Skype, as well as other closed platforms, which would address an even wider span of communications use-cases. Some of these feature, like video conferencing, would make it even more unique than it currently is. Others, like the support for MUJI and new audio/video codecs, add to its wide interoperability.
The list of tasks in this project is:
- Video conference calls
- Google mode of operation for Jingle and ICE4J
- Using HTTPS as a telephony transport
- Support for H.263plus and VP8
- Support for G.722
- Completing audio/video calls support with MSN
- Cross-protocol conference calls
- Using Outlook, Address Book, and Thunderbird as sources of contact information
- LDAP support
- Support for MUJI conference calls
- The project's own website
Run by KO Gmbh.